top of page

Wolverhampton U14's v Ynys Mon U14's - 17th September 2021

Wolverhampton’s newly reformed Under 14 team welcomed Anglesey for a Friday evening encounter at Bilbrook Juniors. This was our opening ESFA Champions Cup game of the season and with Zey Graham and Lewis Aneke unavailable, some players began the game in unfamiliar positions. Wolverhampton took an early lead when Maxwell Riley played a fantastic, raking ball for Josh Welford to run onto. Josh crossed superbly for KAIDON ROBINSON (Moseley Park) to score his first of the evening. He was in the mood to carry on where he left off for the district over 3 years ago. Anglesey came back strongly with some slick passing through midfield and drew level when OWAIN WILLIAMS (Bodedern) cheekily chipped the ball over the onrushing Dylan Ridley in the Wolverhampton goal. Coming back strongly, Wolverhampton thought they’d retaken the lead, only for Kaidon’s finish to be deemed offside, before Anglesey took a shock lead, when a low, driving shot from distance by OWAIN WILLIAMS (Bodedern) squeezed into the corner of the net to send the away fans into raptures. Maybe that long trip would be worth it after all? Wolverhampton, though, had other ideas and regained their dominance in the middle of the pitch with some driving runs from the dangerous Roman Duggan. Harley Carrier was also dangerous down the left-hand side and won a couple of corners but we still went into the break facing a 2-1 deficit.

Half time score: Wolverhampton 1-2 Ynys Môn.

Both teams came out wanting to assert themselves at the beginning of the second half but with David Osifo moving into midfield, and his driving runs a constant threat, Wolverhampton quickly drew level. JOSH TARBUCK (St Matthias) winning the header from Kaidon's expertly floated corner before stabbing home from the rebound at the second time of asking. Game on! David Osifo set up the third goal for KAIDON ROBINSON (Moseley Park) to finish with aplomb but our next goal was not without some controversy. Josh Welford slotted the ball into the empty net after the Anglesey goalkeeper had taken Kaidon out, as the striker knocked the ball past him, but the referee insisted he had already blown for the penalty and Kaidon was required to slot home the spot kick for his hat trick. Our fifth goal ,and fourth for Kaidon, was set up perfectly by a brilliant run and cross from the pacey Josh Welford.

As Anglesey tired, we started to try some long shots to test the replacement goalkeeper and by now there was only one team in it. ROMAN DUGGAN (St Edmunds) scored perhaps the pick of the goals when he found the net from way outside the box before netting a second from even further out. Wolverhampton kept attacking, showing no let up after such an

energy-sapping performance. and Josh Welford was unlucky not to score, when the goalkeeper smothered his effort after he had gone through one-on-one. Right at the end of the game, a fantastic second half performance was capped when HARLEY CARRIER (Our Lady & St Chad’s) made no mistake from a tight angle after rounding the goalkeeper.

Final score: Wolverhampton 8-2 Ynys Môn

204 views0 comments


bottom of page